- Participation in children with disabilities
- Children’s hand skills and assessments
- Validation of clinical and outcome measures
- Rasch measurement analysis
Dr. Chien has been an occupational therapist since he graduated from National Taiwan University with a Bachelor’s degree in 2003. Before he joined The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, he has obtained a PhD from Monash University in 2010 and completed a three-year postdoctoral research fellowship in The University of Queensland, Australia. During these periods, he has worked extensively with children who have physical, developmental or intellectual disabilities and their families.
Dr. Chien has strong research interests in developing children’s hand skill-related measures and validating psychometric properties of existing rehabilitation-related measures through modern test theory (e.g., Rasch Measurement Model). He also hosts a Children’s Hand Skills Assessment Hub which includes three contemporary assessments he has developed. These are the Assessment of Children’s Hand Skills (ACHS), the Children’s Hand-Skill ability Questionnaire (CHSQ), and the Children’s Assessment of Participation with Hands (CAP-Hand).
Dr. Chien’s recent research addresses social and community participation of children with disabilities by investigating a range of supporting or restricting factors (e.g., including body functions, activity, performance, environments and personal characteristics) and by promoting participation-focused assessment and intervention.
- Chien CW, Rodger S, Copley J. Differences in patterns of physical participation in recreational activities between children with and without intellectual and developmental disability. Research in Developmental Disabilities 2017, 67: 9-18.
- Chien CW, Rodger S, Copley J. Parent-reported participation in children with moderate-to-severe developmental disabilities: Preliminary analysis of associated factors using the ICF framework. International Journal of Disability, Development and Education 2017, 64(5): 483-496.
- Chien CW, Bagraith KS, Khan A, Deen M, Syu JJ, Strong J. Establishment of cutpoints to categorize the severity of chronic pain using composite ratings with Rasch analysis. European Journal of Pain 2017, 21(1): 82-91.
- Chien CW, Branjerdporn G, Rodger S, Copley J. Exploring environmental restrictions on participation of children with developmental disability. Journal of Intellectual and Developmental Disability 2017, 42(1): 61-73.
- Chien CW, Rodger S, Copley J, Branjerdporn G, Taggart C. Sensory processing and its relationship with children's daily life participation. Physical and Occupational Therapy in Pediatrics 2016, 36(1):73-87.
- Chien CW, Rodger S, Copley J. Development and psychometric evaluation of a new measure for children's participation in hand-use life situations. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 2015, 96(6): 1045-1055.
- Chien CW, Rodger S, Copley J, Skorka K. Comparative content review of children's participation measures using the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health-Children and Youth. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 2014, 95(1): 141-152.
- Chien CW, Brown T, McDonald R, Yu ML. The contributing role of real-life hand skill performance in self-care function of children with and without disabilities. Child: Care, Health and Development 2014, 40(1): 134-144.
- Chien CW. Bagraith KS, Khan A, Deen M, Strong J. Comparative responsiveness of verbal and numerical rating scales to measure pain intensity in patients with chronic pain. Journal of Pain 2013, 14(12): 1653-1662.
- Chien CW, Brown T, McDonald R. Examining construct validity of a new naturalistic observational assessment of hand skills for preschool- and school-age children. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal 2012, 59(2): 108-120.